How did you know you were an INTJ?

Say hello and let us know who you are.
PowerMechGuy

How did you know you were an INTJ?

Post by PowerMechGuy » September 9th, 2019, 6:59 am

I've been somewhat intrigued by this question after my extensive journey with thinking I was an INFJ.

In fact, YOU answering this question could actually help ME bring closure to MY constant wavering on whether or not I am an INTJ.

It's so weird, it's like I don't trust my own conclusion even after years of reading, memory tracking, and introspection.

In any case, I hope all of you are having a great day.
God speaks through all creation.
VirtualAc3

Re: How did you know you were an INTJ?

Post by VirtualAc3 » September 13th, 2019, 9:30 pm

When I first took the test and read the result, I was honestly shocked at the accuracy of the description. But later I read about Barnum effect and also a book called "Thinking Fast and Slow" which made me question the test and my judgement of the result. So I started digging. (I was sure that I was an introvert so 25% of the problem was solved). I found out about the 8 cognitive functions and the cognitive stack.

For an INTJ it is ->
1) Ni (Introverted Intuition)
2) Te (Extraverted Thinking)
3) Fi (Introverted Feeling)
4) Se (Extraverted Sensing)

How to verify Ni
This one is the toughest to explain honestly. I don't think anyone understands this function clearly.(Same with Ne). It is usually manifests as eureka moments. Look for those in your life. Do you happen to stumble upon answers to previously unanswered questions in the middle of reading an unrelated book or a random conversation etc.. That's an indicator of intuition.

How to verify Te
This one is very easy. You can look at a person and tell if they are using Te. Here's how you verify it. Let's say you have to do something maybe write a essay or build an app or anything for that matter. How do you approach it ? Do you sit down and plan for it or do you wing it? If you formulate a plan and then act, it is very likely that you have Te. Also people with Te are very well read and have an irrational need to find information. (The need to dig for information is attributed to Ni by some people but it's mostly Te. Ni just points the way)

How to verify Fi
Do you care about the feelings of other people ? Do you strive to maintain social harmony and see that everybody else is feeling good? If so, you are probably using Fe and not Fi. Also Fi people are very moody and often do things based on their mood.

How to verify Se
Se is all about shared experiences and being in the present moment. It is a little weak in INTJs but we still use it when we are stressed. When you watch a movie or go out somewhere or play a video game would you prefer enjoying the game all by yourself or having someone you like and trust to enjoy that experience with you ? If latter, then you are likely an Se user.

Note 1: This is just my way of verifying the functions based on what I've read. Some of it may be wrong too, so please take everything with a grain of salt. You can also come up with similar examples yourself instead of using mine exactly.

Note 2: I don't think you can type yourself to a 100% accuracy. All this is just an estimation, a model. Real personalities are much more complex and the way we use our functions depends on the environment we are in. Also there is a nurture part in the equation. Everybody is brought up differently, so your behavior as an INTJ will never match mine. Stay away from stereotypes. They don't help anyone.

Note 3: To reiterate MBTI and other personality tests just give you a model. Use it find your strengths and not to justify your weaknesses. Never force yourself to behave a certain way just because a test result tells you to.