Social chameleon

Say hello and let us know who you are.
Evidence

Social chameleon

Post by Evidence » May 21st, 2019, 8:37 am

Hello everyone,
I'm new here.... just wondering if anyone else out there finds themselves a social chameleon - taking on the characteristics of the person you are interacting with ?

How do you know who you really are?
PowerMechGuy

Re: Social chameleon

Post by PowerMechGuy » June 10th, 2019, 6:29 am

Hello and welcome.

In real life, I notice this a lot. In fact I think it became a sort of technique for me.
I'd always try to listen and see where the other person was coming from so I could continue
the conversation based on what they were saying. As things tend to get old very
quickly when no one chooses an idea to develop.

As for knowing who you really are:
It's difficult. I think sometimes people get lost in their behaviors and habits. But
I think it lies in what you find interesting. Most of the time, when we adjust ourselves
to "be compatible" with the person we are talking to, I think we are just trying to create
a comfortable atmosphere and support a positive discourse. But in those rare moments
where you start listening intently, I think you find a part of yourself.

But of course, this is all just my speculative opinion.

I'd love to hear your process for "blending in".
God speaks through all creation.
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf » July 25th, 2019, 8:41 pm

Evidence wrote: May 21st, 2019, 8:37 am Hello everyone,
I'm new here.... just wondering if anyone else out there finds themselves a social chameleon - taking on the characteristics of the person you are interacting with ?

How do you know who you really are?
This is the textbook description of me and no, I don't know who I really am. And I'm really struggling with that, being dismayed and unmotivated because of that. Welcome to the forum.
MaineCoon

Post by MaineCoon » May 10th, 2021, 4:59 pm

PowerMechGuy wrote: June 10th, 2019, 6:29 am Hello and welcome.

In real life, I notice this a lot. In fact I think it became a sort of technique for me.
I'd always try to listen and see where the other person was coming from so I could continue
the conversation based on what they were saying. As things tend to get old very
quickly when no one chooses an idea to develop.

As for knowing who you really are:
It's difficult. I think sometimes people get lost in their behaviors and habits. But
I think it lies in what you find interesting. Most of the time, when we adjust ourselves
to "be compatible" with the person we are talking to, I think we are just trying to create
a comfortable atmosphere and support a positive discourse. But in those rare moments
where you start listening intently, I think you find a part of yourself.

But of course, this is all just my speculative opinion.

I'd love to hear your process for "blending in".

Instead of judging yourself through MBTI with some fancy four letters. Try Jungian cognitive functions test to get accurate picture. What u said above sounds a bit platonic to me, u won't get nowhere with such sort of thinking. Usually people create images and these images interact with each other. A same person has created images as a son, father, husband, friend and likewise and those images interact with outside world. If u choose to collect a description of person from the recipients of those images, each will present a different picture of same person but of course with some similarities.

Blending in depends upon several factors but commonly it depends upon your personality type. If u happen to be in the middle of the personality scale less blending in will happen. Similarly if u happen to be on the extreme then it will be more.

Hope this helps
Run21

Post by Run21 » November 4th, 2022, 9:14 pm

Actually this is the most INTJ thing I have read on this form, it is common for INTJs despite what many people say to change their personality to adapt to the current situation. INTJs do this all the time because they take a very logically approach to social aspects and they see adapting to the person they are talking to the most logical thing to do. This will allow you to survive however, if you do this long enough no one will talk to you because the conversations will get very dull and boring.
Bibliophilip

Post by Bibliophilip » January 7th, 2023, 11:19 am

I can consider myself a social chameleon too, my mom told me that "socializing is a key to connections and will lead to a successful future" and I happen to agree with that, I thought about it and my mom was right. Even if I hate interacting with most people, I won't make this a weakness, I won't let my emotion hinder my actions obviously because it's stupid. But in this case, I can be in line with the category of "plastic people", I mean I am annoyed by them but I have to make a different face when talking with them; call it acting professionally.